NVS Verdict: An impressive 4x4 pick up from Volkswagen. It was always going to be good.
Volkswagen Amarok Double Cab
What is it?
The double cab market has really increased over the past few years as more company car drivers are turning to this for tax benefits. VW have realised that the market dictates more car features rather than ‘truck’ features to win their customers over. As always they tick the right boxes.
Highline specification overview
- 18'' x 7.5J 'Durban' alloy wheels fitted with 255/60 R18 tyres
- Body coloured door mirrors and handles, wheel arch extensions and front bumper, including chrome grille
- Carpet flooring
- Climatronic 2-zone air conditioning system
- Full leather upholstery
- Heated front seats
- Leather steering wheel, gear knob and hand-brake handle
- Cruise control and trip computer with multi-function display
- RCD 310 - FM/AM radio with single CD player and six speakers
- Parking sensors front and rear
- Polished-stainless-steel side bars
- Chrome rear bumper with integrated step
- Chrome / body coloured door mirrors
- Electric front and rear windows
- 3 12V sockets - dash, centre console and load compartment
- A handsome and dare we say masculine body.
- The build quality is as you would expect from Volkswagen.
- Choice of three specifications. Startline - Trendline and if you want the whistle and bells, the Highline.
- Payload of over one tonne.
- Class leading load area of 2.52 sq m.
- Ideal dual purpose vehicle. A work horse by day and luxury vehicle by night
- Will undoubtably have a ‘bonkers’ resale value - they are hard enough to get hold of new so on the second hand market they will be good news if you are selling one.
Instrumentation is straightforward and the controls are well sited
- The 2.0 litre engine can be a little ‘sluggish’ at times compared to some of its rivals which are either 2.5 or 3.0 in size but then VW are very ‘Green’ conscious .
- Slightly less towing capability but can still manage 2.8 tonnes.
- Not the cheapest of the 4x4’s but with such good residuals great for leasing and contact hire.
Full marks for the Amarok - the new Ranger has a lot to prove. The Amarok is quiet, smooth and just a pleasure to drive. Superb on the road and just as impressive and competent across the fields.